Tuesday 30 August 2011

Now for something a little bit different.

An email I received from a comedian recently said that to improve as a person and a writer, it's important to write every day if possible. Write in chunks, maybe aim for an hour a day and see what you get. Once you get used to this and putting a story across, you'll see that you've developed exponentially. For me, I'm doing that and then eventually the joke writing will come to me. I have moments of humour, and these often come from me acting...well, my usual self. So if I can take those moments, get them on paper and then make observations about life and what I see into amusing observations, I can fill my spare time quite happily.

So as you can guess, I've been writing a fair bit since the last post on here. Sometimes if I write something that seems worthy, I'll put it in here too. I'm thinking of this as being supplemental to my writing though. They're all saved away on my laptop in individual files, and I've been focusing on telling a story with each piece of writing. For some reason, I've been looking back at events in my life. I mean, they're all significant to some extent, but I figured that the easiest thing for me to write about and put across are things from my life. I can write about the colour of the sky or why we never seem to get much sunshine any more, but that's a different level of depth. It probably seems quite shallow and I can look rather egotistical.

I suppose everyone has an ego to some extent though, it's just a case of how we showcase it. Some people have a brilliant knack of being able to approach members of the opposite sex and talk to them with confidence, some know they're a genius and don't mind who knows it. There are hundreds of other ways of displaying your ego...I chose two relatively poor examples sadly, simply because my brain failed me. I like to feed my ego by writing a blog and coming back to it a few days later and seeing how many views it got, or posting stuff on Twitter and conversing with the world. It doesn't really help me too much, I seem permanently stuck on around 85 followers. Still, since I got rid of most of the robots, I like to think there are 85 people who see some of my bizarre thoughts occasionally and either go "Huh, that's interesting" or go "What an idiot. UNFOLLOW!" I'm in a bubble, and until it pops, I'll float around.

On a completely different note, I've stumbled across 8 Bit remixes of songs after someone did a version of the music for Joe Rogan's podcast (one of my favourite podcasts which I can't recommend highly enough) and I'm listening to a stack of them. As I said on Facebook and Twitter (there I go with the media whoring again...) if I put them on my iPod, life becomes one great big Super Mario game, and I can't think of anything more amusing and fun to pass the time.

I think it was the last time that I was in Sheffield when I managed to get Sophie onto Twitter. She doesn't seem to use it much, but her account popped up for some reason so I thought I'd ask her if she still used Twitter. Seemingly she does as she replied to let me know that she did, but only to stalk since no one is interested in what she has to say. Being me, I replied with "No one is interested in what I have to say, yet I still tweet...and blog.."

I suspect this is fairly true. I don't like to think about it though...it makes me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment