Thursday 11 August 2011

Lack of sleep and non-drying clothes don't make for a happy Thomas

Things have been pretty crazy since I last posted on here. I don't even need to go into detail about what happened, since we all saw it on the news (or first hand if you're really unlucky). A lot of crazy things happened and there's been millions of pounds of damage and stolen goods...but for what? I spent most of Monday night gripped to Sky News (I hate to admit it, but BBC were poor with their live coverage while Sky had one crazy guy filming reports on his iPhone and trying to interview looters as they go about their...well, looting), and a similar thing can be said for Tuesday night too. Who can forget the idiotic girl who, when asked what she was doing out, said "Getting my taxes".

It was pretty sad to see the riots spread across the country, and obviously I'm most saddened about things happening in Liverpool, especially since I've got friends who live in the areas where trouble was being caused. Thankfully, it looks like most of the trouble is behind us now and the country can pick itself back up, start to put the wrongs right and look to the future again.

I finally got my posters up on my wall last night after having had them rolled up on the floor since I moved in. The walls were looking a bit empty and I missed looking at the posters. However, they decided that they didn't really want to stay on the wall, despite fresh blu-tac (well, white). On the plus, this meant that Amy Pond fell on top of my at 5am this morning, and I'd never complain about that, but the posters on the other side of the room fell too. And they made a considerable amount of noise in doing so.

They certainly didn't help with my night of sleep...and I probably spent as much time awake as I did asleep. I woke at about 3.30 and felt wonderfully awake; ready and raring to go with an early start to optimise productivity for the day. Then I saw the time, and for some reason, I just couldn't get back to sleep. Eventually, I had to take the unusual route of sticking the iPod back on for a bit...and I drifted off for a short time.

"A short time." Give it another hour or so, and I was awake again and going through the same routine. This time, I was kept awake by the bathroom door banging shut, opening itself and closing again. I know why that happened, because I left the window open in there. So after getting bored of listening to that for a while, I had to get up and close that...then lie there for another hour or so before getting back to sleep again.

My sleeping pattern hasn't been great for the last few years, but it tends to alternate between waking up once or twice in the night and getting back to sleep pretty quickly and then waking up pretty much every hour and being awake for a while. So while I'm in bed until 11am or so, I'm not asleep constantly until 11am. I can maybe cut out a third of my time spent in bed from being asleep.

I tried to wash some clothes yesterday. Not a big deal, right? Wrong. In the house/flat, there are two washer/dryers, one on each floor. Yet realistically, we've got two washers. The dryer doesn't work, and I tried every single function that included "drying" my clothes to try and get them to dry, but nothing really worked. They got hot, yes...but hot doesn't necessarily mean dry. So they're now all hanging in my bathroom with the window open to try and get the breeze to help the drying process which is why the bathroom door kept slamming. Oh, that's another point. My door still hasn't been fixed. The actual handle isn't attached to the door and we're still waiting for the landlord to come and do something about that and a couple of other problems in the house too. Thankfully, I can still shut it since I've developed a makeshift handle to just close the door over and shut it.

Anyway, that's quite enough from me. I'm off to educate myself further about the world of comedy. I finally saw a full Bill Hicks stand up set, and he was one incredibly funny guy. If you haven't heard of him, do yourself a favour and check some of his stuff out on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment