Friday 17 September 2010

The beginning of the rest of my life

As I sit down and start to write this blog entry, hopefully the first of many, it is 00:06 on Friday 17th September. The time is rather insignificant, but the date signals something potentially great in the life of Thomas David Kayll. 

Later on today, during the early afternoon, I'll begin to move my belongings into a small room in a flat in Leeds city centre as I begin at university. Of course, this is a step that many young people take these days, and many of you who read this (at least, in my mind there's many of you reading this) will also be on the same journey as me. Without a doubt, it's going to be one hell of a ride and I'll love every minute of it. 

Thinking about it though, it's almost absolutely crazy how my entire life and the vast majority of my possessions can be fitted into a couple of boxes and bags and moved. I've got a holdall filled with my normal day to day clothes, and a smaller one that has every shirt I own, some ties, some black pants, and black shoes. On top of this, I've got the books I've had to buy for uni, which has come to make a rather heavy box, some other boxes with leisure books, DVDs, my music so I can continue working for that diploma at the end of the year and other bits and pieces. Obviously, I've now got pots, pans, plates and cutlery, but I've never needed to own that sort of stuff before...they will be used though, and you can expect to see me kicking ass on Masterchef in a couple of years!

I imagine this is a thought that people would get quite frequently when they move, but this is the first time I've moved house basically. I've spent 18 years of my life in the same house, and it is my home. So it almost seems illogical to want to move away from it. I guess that's part of growing up though, by moving away, I'll hopefully become far more independent than I've ever been, or needed to be, in my life so far. 

From virtually everything that everyone has told me though, I'll have a great time. Whether it's through the sheer experience of living away from home, studying something that is a real passion for me and that I want to do for the rest of my life, or meeting new people, trying different things and discovering more about myself as a person.

I'll also point out how awesome it is that the final thing I choose to do is watch Scrubs in bed. For those interested, it's the last episode of J.D's residency before he moves on to become a fully fledged doctor. Oh, and there's one of the infamous Dr. Cox rants there as well, absolutely amazing.
We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. 
                                                                          Walt Disney


It's been fun people, I've had a fun 18 years so far in life. Things can only get better...right?

No comments:

Post a Comment