Wednesday 7 March 2012

Where does the time go?

It's not quite been a fortnight since the last blog entry. But then again, the last entry I posted was while sat in a train station at stupid o'clock in the morning while waiting for the first train out of Preston. Not that I have too much against Preston, I just wish that they had trains running to Leeds a bit later than they actually do.

So, I'll start with one of the big points from the last entry. After sending off my application to Adrivo Sportpresse and having an interview, I was sent some translations to do so that they could evaluate my translation skills and see what my written English is like. I sent those off on the Monday and on Tuesday morning I woke up to an email telling me that they definitely want to offer me a job and had some brief contract details. Needless to say, I had a bit of a grin on my face for the rest of the day.

Now that the Employer Proposal form has been put online, that was sent off yesterday to be filled in. Once that's done, this could all be sorted and finalised before the end of semester next week.

That's a bit of a mental thought though...I finish for Easter next week. That's just 5 more days of university (I'm not including Fridays since they're a day off) until I have four weeks off. Not that I won't be busy during those four weeks though...I've got a couple of essays that I'll be working on over that break. Even though most of them aren't due in until May (and even as late as May 21st for AGL), I'd quite like to have most of the work done by the time we come back from the month off. We'll see how true that is in just over a month.

Another rather saddening thought is that this time next week, the Leeds German Theatre Project will have been completed. Successfully. We're in the run-up to show time now, and there are just a couple of rehearsals left on Thursday and Sunday (though I think that's largely for the tech stuff to be sorted out). Back at the beginning of the project, I was sceptical as to how well we could do with this. Two months ago, still without a lead character, I was sceptical. Three weeks ago, I was sceptical. But with less than a week to go, we're going to do it. After a considerable number of re-writes and edits, we've all pretty much learnt our lines and we know what to do. There are photos of us in costume and there are posters to promote. We're all set to go, and it's going to be good fun. Once it's over though, it'll be a bit of a shame. It's taken up quite a bit of my time in the last few weeks, and rehearsals have been a near constant thing since November on a Tuesday evening. What on earth am I going to do with that time?!

So, I highly recommend Jugendfreunde next Monday and Tuesday evening in Baines Wing. It's a delightful little comedy about four friends and marriage. Plus, you get to see some of us in costumes and Dr Harrington will (hopefully) be wearing a moustache. What more could you want from an hour of German theatre?!

All of this leads me to my question which, rather handily, makes up the title of today's entry. Where does the time go? I mean, I know where it goes. Our rock revolves around the Sun, and as it does, our clocks and watches move in a circle. The sun rises, it sets, it rises again. Time is one of those things that we don't really think about or consider too much, but it's always there...ticking away in the background.

But I mean, it's already March. MARCH! That's the third month of the year. Pretty soon, I'll be done with my second year of uni and I'll be moving out to Austria for the year. But of course, that'll no doubt fly by as well and before we know it, I'll be back in Leeds for the final year of my degree. After that, I graduate and get thrown into the big wide world and have to start living more like an adult. I know I'm not the only one like this though...I've had this conversation with a few people in recent days, and we're all amazed as to how quickly life seems to go.

I have no idea what the next few months will bring...the only way to find out to is sit back and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment