Saturday 7 July 2012

Home sweet home

Well, I've moved out of Leeds and most likely won't be back there until September 2013. Still seems a bit weird when I think about that properly...I spent a good chunk of last summer up in Leeds, and that option to 'escape' Liverpool for a week or two and go back up to Leeds isn't really viable this year. Of course, it wasn't ever really escaping. I'd go back up to Leeds to see some friends, or to try and sort some stuff out with various aspects of uni and uni-related life. But this summer, we've all scattered back to our homes. Some of us are already in Germany, some of us are heading out there in the very near future and some of us have still got a while to go before we embark on our year abroad. Thinking that I won't be back there for over a year is a bit of a strange thing to get my head around...I'm just refusing to accept that once I do that, it'll be my final year at university.

Moving out of Leeds wasn't too painful. I do own far too much crap though...I was amazed at how many boxes and bags I managed to fill with various bits and pieces that I've somehow accumulated over the last two years or so. Even with that, I still managed to leave all of my kitchen stuff in the house after simply forgetting to get it while moving out. It wasn't my plan to leave it...I had a very good set of scales in my drawer and some cake tins that I used which are either lost forever or now in Rachel's possession (which may well mean they're lost forever anyway) which was a bit annoying. No idea what has happened with my pots and pans. I sort of don't care...since the contract on that house ran out last Saturday, they're not my problem any more.

I had a realisation of sorts the other day, and (surprise surprise) it's a thought that I'm going to share with you. If things had gone to plan and not drastically changed as they did in May, I'd be in Austria right now. Now that is a bit of a strange thought to get my head around. If I hadn't lost the job with Adrivo, I would have flown out to Graz on Monday morning, I'd be living there and looking forward to starting work this coming Monday (9th). To some extent, I'm still beating myself up about that since I was really looking forward to it and getting a chance to get my foot in the door with a job in motorsport would have been a bit of a dream and potentially a great opportunity. I mean, I was never really thinking I'd be able to get a job in that. It's only really dreams where you can mix your hobbies/passions and a career. Very few get to do that.

I guess I'll just have to find another way in.

Still, that was then and this is now. Instead of being in Austria, I'm back in Liverpool for summer, not that there's anything wrong with that. I was back in Yorkshire last weekend with Beatlife for the Hebden Bridge Handmade Parade, which had been delayed a week after torrential rain led to flooding in the area. That parade is always one of my favourite gigs of the year and they put so much work and effort into making it a success, it's a real community thing with people of all ages taking part and making some frankly brilliant costumes. The weather just about held off for most of the day, though there were one or two rain showers during the static performances and it was a really good day. We got some good feedback from people about that which is always nice, and it was my first Beatlife gig since last summer so it was nice to play again. I just about managed to remember everything...and if I didn't then as the sole primeira, it wouldn't have mattered since I could just act like I knew what I was doing and keep on playing.

I'm toying with the idea of starting up another blog, I'm just weighing up the pros and cons of it before I jump in there because if I make the commitment, I feel it's only right that I stick with it. As I mentioned earlier in the blog, I still want to work in motorsport in some capacity and was having a few discussions with various people about this, talking about writing more stuff, trying to make some connections within the motorsport world and seeing if I can make something happen from my side. Essentially, a new blog would be a motorsport-style thing, not giving news or race reviews since there are other websites and established pages that can do that far better than I could, but instead focusing on opinion pieces. I've already got a few ideas for pieces that I'd like to write...so even if I don't make a different blog, I might just write them up on here. That might be easier. (I really shouldn't have a conversation with myself on here, it makes me look insane.)

I need to sort my bike out in the next few days...check the tyres and brakes, give it a bit of a clean and get out on the road again. It's been a while since I was cycling around and it'd be good to get back out there. Having been used to walking everywhere in Leeds, it seems strange not walking everywhere in Liverpool, though I'm finding myself going out of the house most days for a bit of a walk, even if it's just a half hour walk and coming back with a newspaper to do some crosswords.

To be honest, life is pretty good at the moment. I'm not doing too badly.

Peace and love to everyone, thanks for continuing to read these entries. Apologies for my rambling nature at times...but that's just who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment