Thursday 17 May 2012

One hell of a week.

I know what you're thinking...there must be a good reason for two blog entries in one week, especially since I've been getting into a groove of posting something roughly every fortnight.

There is, and that's what this entry is about. I've been a bit quiet on both Facebook and Twitter over the last few days because I've not wanted to talk about things, especially until I'd had a chance to discuss it with my parents and try to get my head around things.

In short, I won't be going to Graz in July. My work placement got cancelled on Tuesday night for a couple of reasons. As you can imagine, I'm far from happy at having my placement over there cancelled...but these things happen sometimes. From what I gather from university, I'm not the only person who has had a placement pulled from under their feet at relatively short notice.

It leaves me in quite the pickle though. Obviously, I was meant to be flying over there in about six and a half weeks and starting work in just over seven weeks. My flight was booked, I was ridiculously close to finding somewhere to live...everything was ready to go. It's just not meant to be though. Thankfully, I didn't put money down on a deposit for a flat in Austria so I don't lose that money and the flight...well, at the end of the day, it's annoying but money is just that, money. It won't destroy me. I doubt I'll get a refund on the flight (thanks Ryanair and your lack of giving a damn regarding cancellations) and if I'm incredibly lucky, I might be able to swap my flight for an alternative when I find out where I'm going, but I'm not holding my breath.

That's the big problem now...what do I do next year? Where do I go?

I spent most of yesterday (Wednesday) at uni in the hope of trying to sort something out. To his credit, Giles has been utterly fantastic about it, replying to my emails, talking my options through with me and from the sounds of it, he's going to do pretty much everything he can to try and find something for me. Mandy has been equally great since I've been sending her some things and she's been really quick to get those forms and bits of paperwork turned around and returned to me.

Having such a drastic changes of plans this late in the day isn't ideal at all. The most likely result will be that I end up studying in Germany next year at a university. While this wasn't my first option when thinking about the year abroad (and to be honest, it was the one thing I didn't really want to do), if that's what I end up doing...I'll do it, make the best of it and still have a great time over there.

There's a slim chance that I might be able to find a job with a bit of help from Giles. We'll have to play the waiting game. I'll be crossing my fingers, toes, eyes and everything else that I can cross in the hope of trying to get a job...but I'm alright with the concept of studying next year instead of working.

It's been about 48 hours since I found out about the change of circumstances for next year...and I'd like to think I've handled myself pretty well in this time. I pretty much lost it on Tuesday night (as you might imagine) and went out at night to try and figure things out. I didn't sleep much on Tuesday night which wasn't ideal, and when you consider the fact that I got about 3 hours sleep on Monday night after not getting to sleep until about 6am, it wasn't the greatest start to the week anyway.

Yesterday was a better day though. I felt more positive about things...to take a page from Brody Stevens, it's all about positive energy. YES!

Big thanks to Hessie for being the shoulder to (not quite) cry on. She ended up with me sat in her kitchen on Tuesday night since I needed someone to talk to and she was the first person I thought of and the obvious choice. She's more than proved her weight in gold of over the last few days in helping me out and helping to talk me through things and offering me plenty of tea. Tea makes everything better. So does Flight of the Conchords.

I'm back at home for a few days and I've told the family now. I guess I've written this to let other people (that's you guys) know and to get everything written down. You can probably guess that I'm pretty annoyed at losing the placement in Graz, but these things happen. It's all part of life.

I'll bounce back from it and come back better than ever. Mark my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment